Welcome to the IBEW Information Page
IBEW LOCAL 2085, Who are we?
Ibew Local 2085 is a Union that represents workers in the electrical industry. We currently have members who are Construction Electricians, as well as people that are in the Line Trade. We have been representing our members since 1960 as local 2085 but previous to that we were grouped with Local 435 (telecomunications) and Local 2034 (Manitoba Hydro).
When the IBEW was formed in 1891, 1 out of 2 electricians hired died on the job, a mortality rate twice the national average of other workers. Unionism was needed to address the workers economic and safety concerns. Electrical workers spent 12 hours a day, seven days a week connecting and repairing power lines with no safety mechanisms in place. None at all. Today we have gathered as a group to ensure this will never happen again.
As a Union we strive to:
- To organize all workers in the entire electrical industry in our jurisdiction,
- To promote reasonable methods of work
- To cultivate feelings of friendship among those of our industry
- To settle all disputes between employers and employees by arbitration (if possible)
- To assist each other in sickness or distress
- To secure employment
- To reduce the hours of daily labour
- To secure adequate pay for our work
- To seek a higher and higher standard of living
- To seek security for the individual By legal and proper means, to elevate the moral, intellectual, and social conditions of our members, their families, and dependents, in the interest of a higher standard of citizenship.